College Data from CollegeScorecard.ed.gov
This map is an excuse to bring the College Scorecard data set to your attention. Additionally, it does a few things:
- Uses buttons and events in the popup boxes.
- Uses the Leaflet-Ajax plugin to interact with a third party API.
- Provides an example of pruning down a large dataset (~150 MB) in a way that it is usable in a web map.
- Interacts with a non-map component, in the form of the
textareathat receives the data.
The College Scorecard data set powers the Department of Education's college search engine, CollegeScorecard. This is a fascinating and dense chunk of data. Here's Wright State and the University of Dayton. The API that powers the site is robust; I encourage everyone to signup for a free API key and explore it yourself.
textareathat receives the data right now works for the raw data, but could you make it more presentable? How would you go about doing that?
- Sometimes, it is easier to type in a few characters of the name instead of clicking through the map. Could you implement a simple filter via a text field?
- Could you replace those boring blue balloon markers with some pins that encode more data about the school? Perhaps differentiate by locality type (rural, suburban, urban) or profit/non-profit status? How about color coding a grade based on graduation rate or earning potential after graduation? You will need to modify the college_index.json data file to implement any of these suggestions.