Neighborhood Data from Zillow.com
There are a variety of competing formats for representing GIS data. One of the most common ones when dealing with municipal organizations is the Shapefile. This format can be used indirectly by leaflet, but it probably isn't a format you'll want to base your projects around. For this example, we are using the leaflet.shapefile plugin. This plugin actually converts the shapefile into GeoJSON before displaying it on the map. Non-optimal, but not terrible for demonstration purposes. This example demonstrates a few things:
- Using a shapefile directly from a zipfile.
- Showcases Zillow, which provides neighborhood boundaries licensed under a Creative Commons license.
- Uses a custom information control instead of popups.
- Uses custom mouseover effects.
- Uses CSS to style the neighborhoods.
As stated above, Zillow is the source of this data.
Right now, this is a map without a mission, but it could be useful when combined with other data sets. It could be combined with additional map data (LotLinker, or MVRPC ESRI data), or perhaps the info panels could be expanded with more information about the neighborhoods?